Classical music is not just for adults. Following are our 25 favorite pieces of classical music for kids.
One thing we enjoy doing in our homeschool is studying classical musicians. Sometimes when you hear classical music, you think of slow, boring music, but classical music is not all boring! There is some fun and upbeat classical music kids love to dance and play to!
You can use classical music to inspire, to excite, to dance, to start an adventure and as the soundtrack for running, galloping or buzzing around the room. You’ll be surprised by how much kids enjoy these classical pieces. Many of these remind me of the music classes I took in college. Some of my favorite things to study!
Some of our favorites are from composers including Dvorak, Korsakov, Beethoven, and Vivaldi and more! Read on and have a listen to some of these awesome pieces of classical music for kids.
These classical music pieces are great for young children to begin getting familiar with the beauty of classical music. Introduce them to some of the famous names in music and help them learn to pick out different types of instruments, learn to clap or dance to the rhythm or just use it as the background during free play.
I like to buy the 100 Greatest Hits albums for different composers we are studying to really get a feel for their music. We will turn it on at different times throughout the day and the kids will always find a favorite from each composer.
Here are 25 Pieces of Classical Music for Kids!
1. From Dvorak we have loved his Slavonic Dance pieces [Op. 46 & Op. 72]- Just try not to move as you listen to this! Your fingers and toes will be tapping in no time!
2. Flight of the Bumblebee by Rimsky Korsakov- kids will immediately start running in circles and buzzing like bees. It’s so much fun!
3. Carnival of the Animals by Camille Saint-Saens~ Introduce them to all of the different animal pieces!
4. Pomp and Circumstance by Sir Edward Elgar inspires dancing, marching and all kinds of exciting movement. It’s also the famous graduation march.
5. Ludwig van Beethoven’s 5th Symphony is a great classic that everyone should know!
6. Triptych-Tratsch-Polka by Johann Strauss is a fun one to dance around to. Grab a partner and swing around doing the polka!
7. William Tell Overture by Rossini is great to use when you want gallop around like horses.
8. Spring- by Antonio Vivaldi- this is a beautiful classic and my girls love to twirl like ballerinas when this song is on! Also use it to ponder the beauty of the seasons by listening to his other pieces.
9. Ride of the Valkyries by Richard Wagner- This is the ultimate adventure theme song.
10. Tocata and Fugue in D Minor- The organ music is haunting and powerful and makes everyone say WOW!
11. Blue Danube Waltz by Johann Strauss~ perfect for waltzing around the room in pairs!
12. George Gershwin Rhapsody in Blue- An powerful modern classic that is fun to teach kids about different instruments. Play a game of twirling fast and slow or stop and go with this song that changes pace frequently.
13. The Barber of Seville- by Gioachino Rossini- this one really picks up and gets exciting about two minutes in. You may recognize this piece from some famous cartoons.
14.. Eine Kleine Nacht Music by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart~ This has always been one of my favorites. It’s beautiful, powerful and perfect to dance and play to as a child (or adult!) Plus we all need to know a little Mozart.
15. Can Can by Jacques Offenbach- Can you do the Can-can? This song inspires some great skirt swishing and leg kicks!
16. Entry of the Gladiators by Julius Fucik- When you think of a circus, this is the music you hear. Pretend to be elephants, tigers and horses, acrobats and clowns as you listen to this music!
17. Twinkle Little Star- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart- The perfect starter song for every child. We all know this one, but does everyone know it was written by one of the most famous classical musicians of all time? And idd you know there were so many variations?
18. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies from the Nutcracker Suite~ This is the best one to pull out at Christmas time and dream of sugar plum fairies and beautiful ballerinas!
19. Hungarian Dance No 5- Johannes Brahms~ We first heard this one in Little Einstein’s, but it’s such an awesome and fun song!
20. In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg- This song builds excitement and it gets louder and faster. Imagine kids spinning or running in circles until they drop, that’s pretty much what will always happen!
21.Carmen Overture by Georges Bizet- Cymbals clanging, excitement and joy overflowing! This song is just the best!
22. Water Music by Handel- This reminds me of people dancing around in powdered wigs. IT’s a great one to introduce kids to Handel and this period of music.
23. La Danza (Tarantella) by by Gioachino Rossini- a perfect introduction to beautiful opera music! Also check out Figaro by the same composer~ it’s great!
24. Copenhagen Railway Steam Gallop by Hans Christian Lumbye – This one actually includes noises of a steam engine in it. It’s awesome! Watching this one is fun as well.
25.”Troika” by Prokofiev- I just love the excitement of this piece. It reminds me of a Christmas Sled pulled by horses.
What are your kids favorite classical songs? Share in the comments!